- Health And Safety Week at Our Community Costco!
- Community Health Forum Discussing Digestive Health
- Avoid Overeating This Thanksgiving!
- Dress Up Your Water
- Educating the Public In Our Community
- Educating the Public about Naturopathic Medicine’s Role In Our Current Health Care System
- Burnout Prevention and Treatment
- Make Your Naturopathic Doctor Part of Your HealthCARE Team
- Rejuvenate Your Health
- Profiled in the Provincial Association’s Naturopathic Magazine – The Pulse
- Alternative Medicine Review – A Journal of Clinical Therapeutics
- American Naturopaths Association
- Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges
- Association of Perinatal Naturopathic Doctors
- Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors
- Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Canadian Medical Association Journal
- Catholic Medical Association
- College of Naturopaths of Ontario (CONO)
- Council on Naturopathic Medical Education
- FertilityCare Toronto
- Lemore Family Medicine Clinic
- McMaster University
- Natural Medicine Journal – American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
- Naturopathic Doctor News & Review
- Naturopathic Doctors Ontario
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
A week ago, I was honoured to be the recipient of the 2014 Business Person of Character Award. This award was presented to me by the Character Community Foundation of York Region at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts. The awards gala was attended by Richmond Hill Mayor Dave Barrow and councillors, as well as mayors from the surrounding communities in York Region, with the inspiring evening ending with the delightful keynote speech delivered by 2014 Character Champion Award Recipient, Bill Fisch. The event recognized more than 155 exceptional York Region nominees for demonstrating exemplary character and contribution to the quality of life of others based on the 11 Character Community attributes: compassion, courage, fairness, honesty, inclusiveness, initiative, integrity, optimism, perseverance, respect and responsibility. I was touched by what was said and am humbled and grateful to those who nominated me to receive this award. As a child I dreamed of pursuing a career in medicine, and every day I have been able to practice as a Naturopathic Doctor in our lively community has been a dream come-true. It is my heartfelt pleasure to contribute to a healthier York Region. Congratulations to all those who have, and continue, to contribute to our “Character Community”!
Removing Barriers to Primary Health Care Services: Federal Government Exempts Naturopathic Medical Services from HST/GST
It has been a month since the Federal Government proposed the elimination of HST on naturopathic medical services effective February 12, 2014. Naturopathic Doctors across Canada are applauding the Federal Government’s decision to exempt naturopathic care from HST as it further removes barriers to primary health care services for Ontarians. States the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors, this exemption “will provide greater access for patients seeking a proactive approach to their health care needs and those looking for individualized, whole person approach to prevent and treat health issues…resulting in improved outcomes in some of the most chronic and costly areas of the healthcare system.”
Thank you to all those who attended the Food Allergy Information Session in conjunction with Anaphylaxis Canada at the Loblaws Cooking School in Markham last Friday, September 27, 2013.
The evening discussion highlighted valuable information regarding:
– Signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction.
– Common causes of anaphylaxis.
– One-on-one instruction using an Epipen and Allerject auto-injector.
– Tips for creating an allergy-safe environment.
– An update regarding food allergy labeling in Canada.
– How to identify common allergens when reading food labels.
– Delicious samples of allergen-free products.
It was an informative night, and I was pleased to be a community resource alongside in-store pharmacist, Alice Lee and in-store registered dietician Rowena Leung!
Big things come in small packages. This is a saying that is appropriate when discussing naturopathic medicine. For as small as the available literature is regarding patient outcomes, this does not mitigate patient reports of higher levels of satisfaction from the care they have received, feeling listened to, increased feelings of self-efficacy and empowerment, motivation to continue to make sustainable lifestyle choices, increased knowledge to make informed healthcare consumer decisions, trust that the recommendations they are incorporating into their lives are resulting in improved health, reports of reduced use of prescription medications, reduced visits to the hospital and a reduced need for invasive medical interventions.
As a proud champion of whole person, integrative care in the context of a therapeutic naturopathic family medicine relationship, please feel free to check out the below presentation capturing Ontarians thoughts about naturopathic medical care. You spoke and we listened – there is an increasing concensus that naturopathic care improves patient outcomes, quality of life and medical costs for persons dealing with chronic disease.
It is with much pleasure I am posting a slideshow prepared by my esteemed colleague, Dr. Dugald Seely, MSc, ND Research and Clinical Epidemiology Director at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, which discusses the power of naturopathic interventions in preventing heart disease! Read on to see how the incorporation of naturopathic medical recommendations contributed to the improvement of quality of life, as well as reducing patient medical costs.
Soul-satisfying goodness making the dinner table sparkle with an array of colour and nutrients comes to mind when I think of the Mediterranean diet. However, there are other reasons to incorporate elements of the Mediterranean diet involving fresh vegetables, fruits and healthy fats for those who are striving for a healthy heart and brain. The reason: your sugar levels. Doesn’t it seem as though everyone is talking about their glucose levels these days? I don’t think I know of a single person who doesn’t know of an immediate family member, relative, friend or co-worker who doesn’t struggle with this is some shape or form. Read the benefits of how the Mediterranean diet can help you get your sugars into check here and speak with your Naturopathic Doctor about strategies to make this a manageable lifestyle change for the better!